Questions about failsafe
OK, we will look for it to come in and let you know what we find. It is very easy to test the RFU if you have our Telemetry Station. You can enable telemetry and see the signal strength as the RFU sees it. That is what we will use to test the unit you are returning.
Ok, I'll try testing one of my other RFUs with the telemetry station (I have one) to learn how to do it.

In the meantime, I have another question: I just flew the same plane with which I had the alledged lock-out a few weeks ago. This time I had a Nano supporting the RF signal into the same X10+ V2. I had a successful flight and flew around the same physical area where I had the original problem and had no problems.

Before the flight I performed a range test at far off distances and with the airplane at several different orientations to the transmitter. I could go out 150 feet or more in low power mode without the system going into failsafe so the range was very good.

However, I observed that right after I released the low power button, that the controls moved slightly. I only saw the throttle because I could see the prop spin up for a brief moment. I have no reason to think that the other control surfaces may have blipped, I just couldn't see them clearly from 150 feet away. I cannot recall ever seeing this behavior before. It was repeatable, but not every time. Is this normal?

Once back in full power mode I experienced no glitches or lock-outs for the entire flight (just like I have been with XPS equipment for the past 15 or so years).
I just looked at the received signal strength of another RFU and it showed in the mid -20dBms about five feet apart on the bench.  When I put the RFU in a cook pot the signal strength went down to the mid -40dMbs.  I used to get an excel file with the RSSI values - how did I do that?

I used the XPS RSSI application to look at my transmitters:

Futaba 9C with Futaba XPS module:  Strongest RSSI was -36dBm, one room away behind one wall and the fridge -57dBm, inside the fridge -77dBm, 8 channels with 22.627ms frames (PPM)

Taranis with XPS JR Module:  Strongest RSSI was -36dBm, one room away behind one wall and the fridge -57dBm, inside the fridge -77dBm, 16 channels with 18ms frames (XJT-D16)

Since both transmitter modules performed similarly, I reckon my problem is not with the transmitter.
I am not sure how you would generate a spreadsheet with signal strength other than doing it by hand unless you used the telemetry station and recorded the flight data and then used something to extract the entries for the signal strength.
XPS,

I did use the Telemetry Station, and it sent the data to a file that I could read with Excel. I did not do any computer programming to get the data - the Telemetry Station did it. I do not remember how to do it, and I do not see the settings to do it in the current software.

Thanks,

Paul
The Telemetry Station just generates a raw file. That can then be interpreted using various methods with a spread sheet. Our software doesn't do anything but output the file.